AssuredPartners Hettle Andrews
Latest News

Driving abroad on or after 29th March

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it’s likely drivers will need to obtain and carry a physical copy of a Green Card with them when driving in an EEA country, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland (hereafter referred to as the Green Card circulation area).

So, what is a Green card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that drivers are suitably insured to drive in the Green Card circulation area. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If drivers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

If you are going to be abroad on or after the 29th March 2019, we currently understand you will need to obtain a Green Card before you travel and carry it with you.

It’s possible that not being able to produce the Green Card could lead to the vehicle being seized, delays at the border, drivers being charged for driving without insurance or being fined.

Insurers are currently working on the best way to issue Green Cards if it becomes necessary. So that we are in the best position to assist you, please let us know if you plan to travel during this period as soon as you can, so we are able to prepare any documents that are needed. Bear in mind, some countries also require separate insurance for trailers, so you may need a separate Green Card for your trailer.

As the Green Card is a physical document there is a longer lead in time to obtain it from Insurers and post it to you so please give us as much notice as possible.

You may also need an international driving permit, which can be obtained from the Post Office. The latest Government advice can be found at:

If you have any questions, please call your usual contact to discuss it further.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!